- Plan ahead to reduce stress and have more pleasant moving experience.
- Weed out the old to reduce what you’ll move. Clean out and throw away all unwanted items.
- Hold a garage sale or give items to charity. Having fewer boxes will:
* Reduce the amount of time needed to pack, load and unpack.
* Save money by reducing packing materials and boxes. (You’ll be able to rent a smaller, less expensive truck and storage space.)
- Purchase the best packing materials you can afford. Packing materials are inexpensive when compared to losing or damaging items, and/or the hassle of settling insurance claims.
- Keep a record of all moving expenses. If your moving expenses meet certain criteria, they may be deductible from your federal income taxes. Call the IRS at (800) 829-3676 or visit their website at www.irs.gov to request Publication 521, “Moving Expenses”, to see if you qualify.
- Determine if you have enough insurance coverage:
* Does your Homeowners/Renters policy have replacement value for items that could be damaged during the move?
* Does your auto insurance include collision and comprehensive coverage for the rental truck?